Friday, October 22, 2004

Irony: Commended Student

I read in the local paper (Henry Neighbor) that Sheena T. Hilton, daughter of Larry and Catherine Hilton of Stockbridge, GA. was named a commended student in the 2005 National Merit Scholarship Program.

Good for her. It's always wonderful to see individuals succeed, especially despite the poor Georgia school system. I'm glad to see that--what? She was in a private school in Massachussetts?

Sheena T. Hilton is a student of Phillips Academy in Andover, MA. I think this is the first time I have seen anyone mentioned as being a National Merit Scholar (a very prestigious award) and I find it sad that they had to ship their kid over a thousand miles to get this.

Georgia schools suck, public or private. While some are exceptional, they are as rare as an albino squirrel. Georgia schools consistently rank at the bottom of national rankings for every scholastic metric imagineable, including more than a few at #49 and #50.

I am a product of public school and I want to send my children to public school. My daughter, however, was born six weeks too late to be in state sponsored pre-K, so I send her to private school. She will be six weeks too late to enter public kindergarten next year, so I will send her to private school. Having seen the quality of Georgia public schools, I cannot in good conscience send my children into that hole. I will not allow my children to be held back so that we can appease the lower half, and often the lowest quarter, of public education students and their parents. I won't allow the quality of education to be hamstrung by petty squables over carrying cell phones on school property or facial piercings, both of which are cause for suspension in Henry county.

Congratulations to Sheena T. Hilton for her hard work. Shame on Henry county for failing to fulfill its basic task: education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home