Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A duffel worth of clutter

In spring of 1998 (April, I think), I got a job working as the electrician for a touring stage production. I didn't have much notice (I was a replacement mid-tour) and I packed some clothes, books and CDs into an army duffel (my then-girlfriend's father's) and my bookbag. I left my girlfriend on my bed and walked down the street where the stage manager had agreed to pick me up.

As he drove up, I looked down at what I'd packed and thought, "I'm bringing too much stuff." Once we were driving, I shared this with him and the actor (who the stage manager had picked up first). The actor responded, "As we drove up, I asked him, ''Is that all the kid brought?''"

How things change. At 20 years old I owned everything I was carrying plus a TV and VCR, a sofabed, some more books and movies, and a bookshelf. I picked up everything I cared about (except the girlfriend I left on my bed) and packed it into an army duffel. One of my fondest memories is spending a summer living in a semi-partitioned 6'x8' "room" where I was only inside when I was reading a library book. I had no possessions and I was happy.

Now?

I can still pack for a trip in far less than most people. I've worked hard to reduce clutter but I didn't realize how many useful things I'd kept around long after their usefulness. So many things have stayed in my house because I don't want to trash them--they will be very useful to someone else...but for me they're clutter.

It takes a long time to accumulate all of this and I know it will take time to remove it--but I'm impatient.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home