Sunday, February 17, 2008

What's Worthwhile: Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson and Life

Here's what's worthwhile that I've been reading or viewing:

I've watched the first eleven episodes of Life (all they've made so far), about a cop who spent twelve years falsely imprisoned before winning his freedom and a lawsuit from the city which gave him his job back and millions of dollars. He studied Zen Buddhism while incarcerated and that combines with his experiences as an inmate to make for a very unique character, especially a police detective. It's nudging me in the right direction, to try and clear my mind and focus on what's in front of me now rather than what's behind or far ahead. I've got some books on Buddhism, I should finally pick them (or something) up and see what the philosophy can teach me.

NOVA Science Now is a spin-off of NOVA and has three shorter stories in each episode. Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts it, which is the reason I'm watching.

I've re-read two of Dr. Tyson's essays, The Perimeter of Ignorance and Holy Wars. Both are wonderful and push me to ask deeper, richer questions and to not put forward unnecessary boundaries upon myself.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home