Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lifehacker isn't hacking enough.

Lifehacker ran a list of "Readers' Free Replacements for Paid Tools" which I would care about if I ever paid for software tools. More than seven years ago, I switched to Linux exclusively and the only software I buy is the rare game (and I don't use unlicensed copies at all).
"Companies that suffered from piracy a decade ago now know the lesson well - piracy is a good thing so long as the pirates are folks who could never afford your products. So stop calling them pirates, call hem users. Free software has no pirates."
--Jonathan Schwartz, Free Software Has No Pirates
I know that it's hard for some people to understand but Free Software means I don't have to worry about getting audited for license violations or calling up the company because software I paid for won't work after I upgraded computers.

All of starts by not running an operating system that tells me what I'm allowed to do with it. Or a phone or a DVD player or a television or anything. If I buy something and what I want to do is legal, I shouldn't be restricted by a license.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home