Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Where'd you go?

When I've lived with someone or were out with someone, I often felt the need to inform them when I went somewhere. "Hey, I'm going to the store." "Hey, I'm stepping outside." "Hey, I'll be in the next room." My brother pissed me off because he was very dismissive, that he didn't care. A college roommate often acted the same way.

If I turn around and am looking for that person, because they were there before, I expect to find them. If someone gets up and leaves the room, I think it's polite to tell the people in the room something rather than wordlessly disappearing. I don't need (or want) to keep tabs on them like small children, but I think the relationship includes certain responsibilities to the other person.

That said, I enjoyed a relationship with a girl because she would (responsibly) go off on her own without telling me, yet she never disappeared such that I couldn't find her if I was looking for her. To reinforce my point, I can think of two girls who literally disappeared and couldn't be found for hours--one actually tried to blame her friends for being concerned when she wandered off with a guy she'd just met minutes before. I stopped talking to her after that. [0]

There's no hard and fast rule to it...but there is a balance between respecting privacy and responsibilities to friendship.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Mon Apr 14, 01:52:00 AM EDT, Blogger Reverend Frag said...

...you're ignoring the fun-factor of Batmanning your way silently out of a room when a person or people aren't paying attention.

The more people in the room who don't see you leave, the more fun it is to do. It also helps if it's likely that one or more people will be looking for you sometime after you leave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home